Legend Of The Chupacabra

Legend of the Chupacabra - Michael Hebler

Six years have passed since Jessie last encountered the chupacabra. Now she's working at a saloon trying to save enough money to finish the trip to San Francisco her family initially set out on. Jessie begins noticing signs that the chupacabra's curse may have survived their last deadly encounter. Townspeople start to go missing but not all the disappearances can be blamed on the chupacabra. Legend of The Chupacabra is the third book in the Chupacabra series.

Legend Of The Chupacabra is a great addition to the Chupacabra series. It combines elements from the previous books while increasing the stakes and action. The world building gives a great western interpretation of Portland during 1878. I liked how the story incorporated seafaring details that affected the town such as shore leave, trade, and recruitment. I also liked the attention paid to weaponry from the era. The action scenes with the saber gave the story a fun and exciting swashbuckling quality.

Characters from previous books were reintroduced along with the inclusion of additional new characters. There was a secondary plot involving the monstrous acts of humans that was both independent and intertwined with the threat of the chupacabra. I liked that both storylines were equally intense in terms of conflict and action while later combining to create a suspenseful and dramatic outcome.

I'm always wary of any type of media that portrays Native Americans. This series is one of the few that I felt handled it well, components are concise but fleshed out to the point that it feels credible to the story it's trying to tell. I would have liked to have gotten to know Tree Cradle better but she felt more like an extension of the curse's back story. In this installment the chupacabra's origin mythos is further explored and the curse is revealed to have more perilous variables. The story introduces a frightening new manifestation of the chupacabra that further heightens the tension.

I enjoyed reading the Legend Of The Chupacabra. The viewpoint transitions are smoother and the increased suspense creates an engaging horror story where every character is in danger. The story ends with a dramatic conclusion that hints at an ominous future for everyone involved.

[Disclaimer: I won a copy of this book through a blog giveaway from FU Only Knew]