The Mad Lord Lucian

A fantasy novella about a loyal manservant serving a fair and honorable Lord who has become feeble due to rapidly declining health. An opportunistic mage heals the Lord but the price puts the kingdom and Lord in jeopardy with only the manservant fully understanding the consequences. This novella is a stand alone and embedded legend within the Portals Of Destiny series.

The Mad Lord Lucian is a cautionary tale within the Portals Of Destiny universe about the dangers of dark magic. This novella was my  first introduction to the series and I’m grateful it was easy to comprehend without reading the other books first.

The characters were well rounded. I liked how their personalities were reinforced with small tidbits inter laced through the story. It helped me to better empathize with the main character which enabled me to better understand his motivations and accept his limitations.

The story was engaging and fast paced with short paragraph formatting aiding the continual action. The descriptions were vivid and concise. The horror elements were great and created a darker tone amid the suspense.

The world was well developed and the magic system was intriguing. The magic system left me with a few unanswered questions but I got the impression that it’s a mysterious plot point to the series as a whole.

I really enjoyed this story and was impressed at how much was packed into it. After reading this novella I’m excited and eager to read the other books in the series.

[Disclaimer: I won a copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads]