Deathless

Deathless - Catherynne M. Valente An ambitious novel that weaves traditional Russian folk lore amid Russia’s turbulent history between 1930-1940. A girl becomes the bride of an immortal entity that rules a dark macabre realm and realizes she is repeating a story that has been played out many times before.

Deathless has poetic prose and the cadence of a classic legend. I felt the story had a deeper meaning that I wasn't quite able to grasp because of my limited knowledge of Russian culture, history and folk lore. There are recurring themes and philosophies about life, death, love, loss, and war that makes the story hauntingly beautiful. I enjoyed how the author interwove and reinterpreted creatures, entities, and stories from Russian folk lore and mythology. I also appreciated the respect and diligence the author undertook in providing a credible story from a different nationality. I found the overall story to be incredibly sad, my soul aches and I’m sure it won’t leave my thoughts anytime soon.