Garden Spells

Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen

Sydney escaped from her abusive husband and has taken her young daughter, Bay, to the only place she ever felt safe.  Returning to Bascom was something she promised never to do when she left as a teenager. Her older sister, Claire, runs a catering business keeping up the family tradition of infusing food with flowers that can influence a person's emotions. Bay adjusts easily to the magic surrounding Bascom while Claire and Sydney are hesitant to follow the path fate is pushing them in. This is the first book in the Waverly Family series.

Garden Spells is sweet and charming story. The story setup is slightly reminiscent of Practical Magic but it's more of a light-hearted rendition. It took me a while to adjust to the writing style but I felt it evened out after the first couple of chapters.

I really liked the magic system in the story. It's expressed through the characters as different types of intuition. It was fun to see how certain families were known for specific abilities. I also liked how the Waverly's family garden was portrayed as a magical setting. The magic system was incorporated nicely and enhanced the story without overpowering it.

The story has a large cast of characters with interwoven storylines. I liked how the story was able to capture the sense of a small town community. The characters' were wonderfully diverse in their personalities and remained likeable. I liked that the major and minor characters were given equally powerful storylines that were resolved at the end. I also liked the different types of relationships the story explored. It gave an insightful look at the varying dynamics among families as well as romantic relationships.

Garden Spells is a heartwarming story and I look forward to reading its sequel.