Shudder

Shudder - V.J. Chambers

Jason and Azazel have finally awoken from their coma. The only power they have left is the ability to heal. Their miraculous recovery attracts unwanted attention and they soon find themselves forcibly imprisoned within a secret high tech facility. Jason and Azazel must find a way to escape with the other inmates but each attempt is met with severe consequences. This is the seventh book in the Jason and Azazel series and the first book in the Jason and Azazel: Ambrosia trilogy.

Shudder is a paranormal story that takes place about a year after where the previous book ended. I had a lot of fun reading this story. It has a different feel than previous books but I liked its reimagined story line and incorporation of technology.

The story is told from Azazel's perspective. It was interesting to see how much she's matured and changed throughout the series. It was nice to see Jason and Azazel working together towards a common goal. Their weakened magical state and mortal vulnerability added even more tension. It was fun realizing how dangerously skilled they remained even without their magical abilities. It was also interesting to learn their true mindset without their magic's influence.

I loved the setting of the story. The facility's layout was vivid and complex. I liked that it used advanced technology and presented such a unique challenge. The antagonists' were wonderfully twisted. I liked the story behind their motivation and how they turned the facility into a psychological game of sorts. I also liked that it forced Azazel to choose such a drastic course of action.

The story presents a new mystery with an engaging combination of action and drama. New characters are introduced while some old characters return. There were so many twists and surprising revelations that it made me really excited and nervous to continue reading the rest of the trilogy.