Sheikh's Scandal

Sheikh's Scandal (The Chatsfield) - Lucy Monroe

Liya Amari has been transferred to the Chatsfield's London location in order to prepare the hotel staff for the arrival of Sayed's engagement entourage. When Sayed's fiance' breaks off the engagement abruptly and Liya's true purpose for visiting the Chatsfield ends in heartache they allow themselves a passionate night to forget their troubles. Now they must deal with the consequences and prevent a scandal from developing. This is the first book in The Chatsfield continuity series, it can also be read as a stand alone.

Sheikh's Scandal is a romantic story in The Chatsfield series from Harlequin Presents. I loved the amount world building that went into this story. I enjoyed reading the details included about the setting, culture, language, and customs. It gave the story a more immersive quality and made it stand out from other Sheikh romances I've read.

I was excited to read Liyah’s story every since I saw the Chatsfield's family tree. As the illegitimate daughter of Gene Chatsfield, Liyah's had a very different upbringing then her privileged step-siblings. She was raised solely by her mother who taught her to be independent and take pride in her work.  Her mother's dying wish was for Liyah to make herself known to her father.

Sayed is determined to uphold tradition and serve his country. Taking a wife was just another step in the plan laid out for him. He never thought the woman he had been betrothed to for years would run off with another man. Liyah is a lovely distraction but he soon finds his life becoming even more complicated for giving into his impulses.

I liked both of the main characters though I didn't find their drunken tryst entirely romantic. The beginning of the story is strong but there is definite lack of tension for the remainder of the book. Liyah's meeting with her father and Sayed's broken engagement were the most emotionally charged moments for the characters. Afterwards conflict in the story seemed somewhat subdued because both characters adjusted easily to opposition or the problems were immediately resolved. Enough happened to keep my attention and I still consider it an okay story but the world building and characters stood out to me the most.