Exodus 2022

Exodus 2022 - Kenneth G. Bennett

Joe Stanton awakens convinced that his daughter is dead but he never had any children to begin with. As the grief and hysteria subsides it's replaced by an elusive voice along with visions of a fantastical realm. He attracts the attention of a rogue paramilitary group intent on unlocking the secrets of his subconscious mind with the latest biomedical technology. Each passing moment becomes deadlier as Joe tries to understand and grasp the enormity of the task thrust upon him.

Exodus 2022 is a science fiction thriller about an ecological apocalypse that's set into motion. I really liked the structure and format of the book. The story is fast paced with short chapters that enhance the suspense. Each chapter ends with a cliff hanger that demands the reader continue to read. Though there was a compulsion to devour the book, I found it made a great book to accompany me throughout the day because the chapters can be read within a short amount of time.

I enjoyed reading Exodus 2022, it's a wonderful blend of mystery and suspense that tells a compelling full length story. It's visually descriptive with a focus on action that gives the story a cinematic feel. The story's setting especially the oceanic and wilderness landscapes are beautifully portrayed. I liked that specific details and relevant facts were used when describing weapons, equipment, strategies, and scientific concepts.

I adored the story's imaginative interpretation of environmentalism and inclusion of orca whales. I liked that the story was able to interweave environmental ideas as well as biblical themes without being condescending or preachy. They were depicted in a way that allowed the story to forge its own identity. I loved that the story approached the apocalypse genre from a different angle especially in terms of the main character's motivation. The ending was unexpected and I really liked the ideas it presented.

[Disclaimer: I personally purchased an ebook version of this book but I also won a physical copy through a blog tour giveaway sponsored by the publisher, Booktrope.]